Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Parents Perspective on Music



My name is Monica Nascimento,  I am the parent of two adult musicians. I’ve been asked to share my perspective on what music brought my daughters.
First some background, my eldest is now 21, she started playing piano at age 6 and is currently studying to be a music therapist. My youngest just turned 18 and has been playing violin since 6, she has plans to become a dentist.
I am extremely proud of their perseverance throughout the years and  the fact they stayed with their instruments through their growing years. Through the drama of adolescence, through the demands of academics, and the distraction of boyfriends, they persevered. Week after week, month after month, they kept going to their lessons, practicing in between and getting better and better at their craft.
There are so many things music has brought to their lives. But the most impressive skill is there ability to stay on task. Through music, they learned to tackle the piece, take it on and work through it until they had it right. They have brought this strength to everything in their life. Their academics, their jobs, their mindset is simply: work hard and you will succeed.
As a parent, I can also attest to the positive attention they've received through their talent. When my oldest moved away from home, into a dorm for college, she told the story about how on her first night she was playing a keyboard in her room. At the end of her song she heard applause from outside the shut door. She opened it and this ‘audience’ were her new community away from home. What is better then attention from a positive skill, such as music?




No comments:

Post a Comment